Monday, June 22, 2009

A little about me

Well, I don't even know where to start. I'm a 33 year old mother of four children. I have a wonderful husband who supports me in everything I do. My life is simple and happy.

Last October, I made the decision to haul my overweight behind into Weight Watchers. It was the best thing I've ever done. Through watching what I eat and how much of it, I have lost 51.6 lbs (to be exact) and I feel great!

WW taught me how to eat and pay attention to what I was putting in my mouth. It gave me a new sense of control that I hadn't had before. The program also taught me how important exercise is. I started small. I committed myself to "moving more today than I did yesterday". I progressed quickly from a casual stroll around a park to sweating my arse off to a workout video in my livingroom. I've experimented with different exercises. I keep what I like and forget what I don't. Example, I LOVE yoga! I hate cardio kickboxing class, even with the hot young guy who taught the class.

Recently (two weeks ago) I took up running. This is really funny for me because I was the one who always said that I would never run, even if someone was chasing me with an axe! Yet, here I am. I bought some fancy Saucony running shoes and I was off! My first attempt found me run/walking 2.5K. My running style is more a hoppy walk than a run. I am no gazelle. I made it through, running more than I was walking and I was hooked!

Last saturday I found that I was able to go a full 2K before needing to walk.

Today, I made it 3K.

I LOVE THIS!

I want to be one of those people I see early in the morning. Gliding down the street with their IPod and water belt. They look so strong! I want to know what that's like, to be able to go for miles with nothing but a pair of legs.

Once I reached my weight goal and switched from losing to maintenance, I found myself in a wierd sort of limbo. I was finished with watching the numbers go down. No more ten pound milestones. I felt sort of aimless. I no longer had a goal to reach for. Now I do! My first goal is to be able to run a whole 5K without walking. I don't care how fast or slow at this point. I just want to be able to say that I can do it. I'll work on speed later. Maybe a race for the next goal? Who knows?

So, if anyone is actually reading this. You are witnessing the first, shaky baby steps of a runner. Let's just see how far I can take this.

No comments:

Post a Comment